It can be difficult to choose flattering clothes, no matter what type of body you have. We’ve all found that one outfit that you think will look great, only to find that it looks less than stellar on your frame. But how do you dress for the type of body you have?
These helpful tips can help you choose clothes for your body type, as well as helping you to understand what shape your body is!
The first and most essential step is to understand the shape of your body.
First, you’ll need a cloth measuring tape. Measure around your shoulders, bust, waist, and hips. You should make sure that the measuring tape is snug, but not tight enough that it’s digging into your skin.
It’s also best to measure while nude! If you are comfortable having someone to help you with this process, it can help!
Once you have these measurements, you can easily see which areas are smaller, which are larger, and which are roughly the same as each other. This is the key to determining the shape of your body.
- Pear Shape: Your waist is wider than your bust. Your hips are full and wider than your shoulders. This is also called the ‘triangle’ shape.
- Hourglass Shape: You’re ‘curvy’, have a defined waist, and your bust and hip measurements are close to the same.
- Apple Shape: You’re ‘curvy’, but don’t have a defined waist. This is also sometimes called the ‘round’ body shape.
- Inverted Triangle Shape: Your shoulders are broader than your hips, and you don’t have a well-defined waistline. Your hips aren’t as curvy.
- Rectangle Shape: You aren’t curvy. Your shoulders and hip measurements are nearly the same, and you feel like you’re straight up and down. This is also called the athletic or straight shape.
No matter what shape your body is, there should be two goals with any outfit. First, you should always try to balance things out. If you are pear-shaped, for example, you can either try to balance your outfit throughout or try to emphasize your lower body. It all depends on how you want to look.
Essentially, you should enhance what you have, while trying to hide the parts you don’t like so much. For example, if you are a rectangle shape but have long arms and legs, try to dress to emphasize those assets. Wear clothing that shows off your legs, or emphasizes your arms.
Ultimately, you’ll want to choose clothes that you feel comfortable in. If you are heavier up top but have very skinny hips, try putting more ruffles and layers on the bottom half of your look. This helps create a balance and shifts focus downwards.
If you have an apple shape, try to choose higher-waisted clothing to bring the emphasis away from your waist. It all depends on what you want to stand out with each outfit.
Remember that every body is different. There are outfits for every shape, size, and style that you could imagine. A little extra searching can help you find outfits that will flatter your body shape. Once you know the basics of how to shop for your body shape, you’re sure to find an entire fashionable wardrobe that will look amazing on you!
Shopping around is your best tool for finding your best new look. At Shop Style Shark, we have a ton of flattering options for every body type. Shop any of our affordable collections to find a variety of outfits for your unique body!